Scoil Réalt na Mara have five green flags and we are working towards our sixth – Global Citizenship – Litter and Waste. At the start of this flag cycle we in Réalt na Mara chose to address the following topics:
- What is global citizenship?The committee produced and presented a lovely slide show explaining what global citizenship means.
- Where do products come from?Last year, we discovered that our food comes from more than 40 countries world wide, clearly demonstrating our global interdependence.
- What are ‘human rights’? Some senior classes have been exploring the notions of Fair Trade and human rights.
- Improving our waste management improves the world.The topics of single use plastics and the careless spread of pollution worldwide are being worked on, ranging from plastic waste reaching the North Pole to examining the use of unrecycleable coffee cups locally.
- We have been working through these issues and will continue to explore these topics until the end of the year.
On January 30th, we will be having our school Action Day, when every class will display their work thus far and have an opportunity to interact with the other classes, old and young.